Over more than 75 years, BIC grew from humble beginnings to the simply iconic brand we are today. Passionate about bringing simplicity and joy to people all over the world, we continue to reimagine everyday essentials, designing products that are part of every heart and home.
1940 - 1949
- 1944 - Marcel Bich and Édouard Buffard set up business creating writing instrument parts.
1950 - 1959
- 1950 - Marcel Bich improves László Biró's ballpoint design and launches his own pen under the BIC® brand.
- 1951 - BIC establishes its presence in Belgium.
- 1953 - Société BIC is created.
- 1954 - BIC enters Italy, the Netherlands, Austria, Switzerland and Spain.
- 1956 - BIC launches the BIC® M10® retractable pen.
- 1956 - BIC expands into South America.
- 1957 - BIC moves into Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.
- 1958 - BIC enters the North American market.
- 1959 - BIC enters the Scandinavian market.
1960 - 1969
- 1960 - BIC develops in Africa and the Middle East, selling products through local distributors.
- 1961 - Raymond Savignac creates BIC's iconic BIC Boy logo.
- 1965 - BIC enters the Japanese market.
- 1969 - BIC creates BIC Graphic, offering other brands a selection of products for use as advertising aids.
1970 - 1979
- 1970 - BIC launches the BIC® 4-Color™ pen.
- 1972 - BIC is listed on the Paris Stock Exchange.
- 1973 - BIC launches the first BIC® full-size pocket lighter with an adjustable flame.
- 1973 - BIC begins manufacturing and distributing products in the Mexican market.
- 1975 - BIC is the first brand to launch a one-piece razor.
- 1979 - BIC acquires Conté®, a famous 200-year-old French brand of drawing and coloring products.
1980 - 1989
- 1981 - After acquiring Tabur Marine, BIC begins manufacturing and selling water sports products under the BIC Sport brand.
1990 - 1999
- 1992 - To broaden its range of stationery products, BIC purchases Wite-Out®, a famous American brand of correction products.
- 1993 - BIC launches BIC® Evolution®, a graphite and coloring pencil made with recycled materials.
- 1993 - Bruno Bich assumes role as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
- 1995 - BIC opens BIC Polska, followed in 1996 by BIC Russia and further expansion in Eastern Europe.
- 1997 - BIC purchases the Tipp-Ex® brand, the leading European brand of correction products.
2000 - 2009
- 2001 - The BIC® Cristal® pen enters the Museum of Modern Art of New York's permanent collection.
- 2002 - BIC launches a range of Multi-Purpose Lighters.
- 2002 - BIC launches its sustainable development program.
- 2004 - BIC acquires Stypen® and enters the school fountain pen market.
- 2006 - BIC purchases Pimaco®, adding adhesive labels to its stationery offerings in Latin America.
- 2006 - The BIC® Cristal® pen, full-size pocket lighter and Classic Original and Classic Sensitive razors enter the permanent collection of the Musée National d'Art Moderne/Centre de création industrielle-Centre Georges Pompidou Paris.
- 2009 - BIC enters the Indian stationery market by acquiring 40% of Cello, the number one brand of writing instruments in India.
2010 - 2019
- 2011 - BIC partners with TerraCycle in Europe, a pioneer in collecting and reusing non-recyclable waste.
- 2012 - BIC establishes a subsidiary in Dubai to manage Middle East operations and allow direct communication with customers and consumers.
- 2013 - BIC opens a lighter facility in China, better positioning the business to supply the fast-growing Asian lighter market.
- 2015 - BIC completes the acquisition of Cello in India.
- 2018 - BIC enters the temporary tattoo market with the launch of BodyMark® By BIC® temporary tattoo markers in North America.
- 2019 - BIC expands its Shaver product offerings with BIC® Made For YOU®, a North American range of unisex shavers, shave cream, face lotion and body lotion.
- 2019 - BIC completes divestiture of BIC Sport, its water sports subsidiary, to Tahe Outdoors.
2020 & BEYOND
- 2020 - BIC expands its unisex grooming product portfolio with Us., featuring razors, shave cream, face lotion and body lotion.
- 2020 - BIC launches BodyMark By BIC in European markets.
- 2020 - BIC launches the BIC Kids coloring line of crayons, colored pencils and markers in the United States.
- 2020 - BIC launches the EZ Reach lighter in the United States – with an extended wand, it is perfect for all lighting occassions.
- 2020 - BIC acquires Djeep, strengthening leadership in branded pocket lighters.
- 2020 - BIC acquires Rocketbook, entering digital writing space.
- 2020 - BIC announces that it has signed a Purchase and Sale Agreement to sell its Brazilian adhesive label business, PIMACO, to Grupo CCRR.